Til Debt do us Part

Monday, March 17, 2008

I've been watching Til Debt do us Part over at Slice.ca - soooo many episodes but it is as obsessive as ever.

There are so many couples that are hiding fiances from each other and even themselves.

Finances are such a taboo subject. I find myself pretty blunt about finances. I'm pretty open about how much money I earn, how much is in my bank, etc. Most people I know say things like "I'm so broke" and "There's no money" but are hesitant to answer in-depth questions.

While K was good at checking her balance and online bank account information, however, my friend H doesn't even know what her bank account is sitting at. She gave me her bank account info a long time ago, and since I'm a snoop, I peek in on her accounts once in a while and see how she's doing.

Sometimes I just want to call H up and tell her how much debt she's in, but I won't. That's not my place. She's incredibly lucky, since she never seems to max things out. She's within $50 of blowing her limits on both her $14,000 line of credit and her $2,500 CC, not to mention the $500 overdraft on her chequing account. But, she never hits the limit, so she never knows how close she is. It's scarey, but there's nothing I can do until she asks. It's not my place to boss her around.

I know this point was brought up a while ago, but I wonder if everyone would act the same if they had to wear their net worth on a sign around their neck? It would look a bit rediculous yes I agree, but how differently would you act?

As a cashier at Subway, it's horrible, but yeah, I do judge people. I judge them when I see their debit go NSF on a $4 purchase. I judge people who come for a $15 sandwich 5 days a week. Maybe I would think differently if either of those people broadcasted a $50,000 networth.

My networth is a little over $7,500 right now. I'm not sure how I would act.


How would you act differently if you had to wear your networth on you forehead?

3 comments:

JW said...

Thanks for the information about slice.ca and the televison program Til Debt Do Us Part. I went to the website and tried to watch it but, I got the following message: Sorry! This video is not available in your country?

L said...

That's odd! Maybe the website was down? Where are you trying to read it from? Here in Western Canada it seems to work just fine...

Fabulously Broke said...

I totally wouldn't act differently.

I tell everyone I meet that I'm in debt. I'm not afraid of it, it's student debt and I'm proud of the fact I'm about to have cleared $53,000 in a little over 2 years

Oh and jw = it only works for Canucks, like how we go to ABC network and we can't watch American shows online because we're from Canadia

Sucks